Monday, August 23, 2010

memories

For a moment I visualized us resting side-by-side. Her tears had dried long ago. I felt her hand reach for mine, and then a smile appeared on her face right before they took her away. We were both waiting to be taken, but why did they come for her so early? Smiling again, she got to her feet and told me that everything would be fine. And then she kissed me. She was gone. Wherever they took her, I hoped she made it there safely -- and quickly. Alone again, I wanted nothing more than to protect her from that new world. To hold her again in my arms as she cried. Sometime later, I realized that I had nothing to fear for they took her beneath the world, a place where no one could touch her. Somewhere safe, and forgiving. There is a large gate there (I've seen it from a far) but it isn't meant to be opened. It's only nothing, where everything is forgotten ...

At dusk, they finally came for me, taking me back to the world -- a world where I would have to do everything all over again. I knew I wouldn't be seeing her again for a long time, but I heard her words again and knew that everything would be fine. And after my first day back in the world, I cried out for her, and that time she held me. Long into the night. Until she, too, was forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment