Friday, February 12, 2010

the golden rule

While waiting for the bell to ring, I decide to eat somebody.

I pick Jenny.

Come with me Jenny, I say. I have to show you something.

What? she says.

It's something special, I say, like a buried treasure.

She turns away, uninterested.

I go to the front of the classroom and pick up a yard stick. Walking back to Jenny's desk, her eyes are now big. I poke her once in the stomach and twice in the face, just below her eyes.

Owe, she says.

Let's go find that treasure now, I suggest.

Jenny looks around. No one seems to be paying attention to us. Okay, she says.

I take her to the closet and remove her clothes.

She doesn't say a word.

I begin eating her. I start with her legs and work my way up. When I reach her neck, her eyes finally close. There's blood everywhere. After I eat the last bits of skull, I let my stomach settle for a few minutes, then I immediately clean myself up and change my clothes with the extra pair I keep in my locker.

I return to class.

The bell finally rings, and the teacher enters.

Instead of taking roll, she goes to her seat, turning away from us. She doesn't speak. Finally, after a few moments of silence she turns around. Class, she says, I'm afraid you're all going to have to go home.

Everyone, including me, is stunned.

But why? someone asks.

I can't say, she says. Just follow me, single file.

We follow her and she leads us to the front of the school. There's a group of men standing by the janitor's closet, and I see the janitor handcuffed, sitting on the ground down the hall.

What happened? somebody asks.

Keep quiet, the teacher says.

There's a row of buses outside the school, waiting to take us home.

Upon getting on a bus, I burp then look around.

Who's next? I ask, grinning. Jenny was just a snack.

No one seems to hear.

I sit down and, as the bus starts moving, I walk to the back and eat three kids sitting in the back row -- Carl, Danny, and Lee. I don't stop there. I make my way back to the front of the bus, eating kids, row by row. When I get to the front, I eat the bus driver. I stop the bus, get out, and start eating everybody I see.

Men, women, children. Whatever.

After eating the 76th person of the day, I decide to take a nap. When I wake up, I'm back in the classroom waiting for the bell to ring. Turning around, I see Jenny again with her bright blue eyes.

Come with me, I say.

No, she shouts. Last time, you took me to the closet and ate me.

I won't this time, I promise.

She stares at me for some time, looking into my eyes.

Please, I say.

She gets up and I take her to the closet and take off her clothes and start gnawing on her toes.

Hey! she shouts. Start with my head this time. My feet are ticklish.

No comments:

Post a Comment